Have you experienced the power of a Zero?
Recovery begins with a Zero?
Zero. It seems like a cold, lonely number. Most times the zero is forgotten. It gets tacked at the beginning or the end of the real numbers.
Zero is a put-down that is akin to saying someone is a loser, a failure or has nothing to offer.
It is the beginning. The first step in any recovery is Step Zero. Step Zero is the real first step of your recovery. It is the step that you take where you believe that you are worthy of recovery.
It is a slow step where you learn one lesson:
You. Are. Worthy. Of. Recovery.
In a recent post, I wrote that the word “worthy”does not appear in any of the 12 steps because it is “Step ZERO.” Worthiness grows in the quiet, when we practice acceptance, and when we let down our guard.
The pure power of a ZERO
In numerical terms, Zero has value far beyond just holding space at the beginning or the end of the real numbers.
- Zero has value in that is the absence of something. It is the beginning of your work and requires consideration. Before you enter a program, open a book, talk to a therapist or speak up you use the power of Zero when you believe. You are worthy of this.
- Zero has no end. It is infinity. It is the one number that has no end. Zero reduces everything to a simple number, a simple beginning. Addiction, after all, is a simple path.
- Zero is a code. Zero is the language of computer programming: ones and zeros (10010…). Belief is half of the code that creates your recovery. You may fail, but if you believe you will get up, again and again.
- Zero is the number that you dial when you need help. It is your failsafe. It is the one number that you can dial where you can talk with a real person… most times. Zero gets you to the Operator.
- Zero is the beginners mind. This is how you un-learn, re-learn, and learn again.
In chemistry, Zero is what you have before the reaction can begin. Zero is potential, it is what happens before the reaction. Zero is the belief that a reaction is about to happen before it happens.
Zero is the beginning of your recovery from drugs and alcohol, depression or anxiety, trauma, and a past that may haunt you. Remember, you are worthy of this.
Your recovery begins with ZERO.
To learn more about recovery, read The 10 Principles that will Change how You See Recovery.
I write articles about wellness, leadership, parenting and personal growth. My hope is to deliver the best content I can to inspire, to inform and to entertain. Sign up for my blog if you want to receive the latest and best of my writing. If you like what I have to say, please share my work with your friends.
Lastly, if you like my writing, you can click here to vote for my page on Psych Central’s list of mental health blogs.
Keep it Real
Photo by Oliver Dodd